Happy World Backup Day! That’s right, March 31st is now considered World Backup Day, where everyone is encouraged to backup their precious important documents and memories. There is even a pledge that folks are encouraged to say:
THE WORLD BACKUP DAY PLEDGE
“I solemnly swear to backup my important documents and precious memories on March 31st.”
I will also tell my friends and family about World Backup Day – friends don’t let friends go without a backup.
What a great cause to bring awareness to the potential failures of technology and remind people to backup their documents and photos of their family and freinds! But the big question we have to ask is, what about your business? Are you backing up ALL of your critical business data AND more importantly, have you ever TESTED your backup system?
Here is what we typically find when we audit a companies’ backup method:
- Yes, they are backing up data, but NO they are not backing up ALL critical data necessary
- Yes, they believe they are backing up data, but to a device not even actually plugged in!
- Yes, they are backing up data, but still to tape, which is an old, failing technology, and are not even sure how regularly the tapes are brought offsite
- Yes, they are backing up data, but not weekly, only monthly
- Yes, they are backing up data, but have never checked to see if their backups are working properly
- Yes, they are backing up data, but only onsite and not to the cloud, therefore are at risk in the event of natural disaster
- Yes, they are backing up data and have a disaster recovery plan, but not a full business continuity solution and will still experience costly downtime
So as you can see, the question is two-fold. It’s not just, are you backing up data… it’s are you backing up your data correctly!?!
SSE can help you TEST your backups and put in place a full Business Continuity solution that will help your company avoid costly downtime. If you’d like more information on what the difference is between Traditional Backup methods and a full Business Continuity solution, click here.
You can also join us at our FREE upcoming breakfast event on Business Continuity on May 13th. For more information on the event, click here. And if you’d like to schedule an appointment to discuss data backups and business continuity at your business, click below to get started today.